How can I reduce my son's power from -11?

Question
MY SON IS 8 YEARS OLD. HIS EYE POWER IS -11.WHAT ARE THE SUGGESTIONS TO REDUCE HIS POWER? PLEASE SAVE HIS LIFE.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later
Hi Pragal,

Your son is having an eyesight of -11. This means he is short sighted; also called Myopia

Normal Myopia is usually acquired after adolescence.
Some times, Myopia is childhood acquired. In such situation, its progresses and becomes quite severe. This is the case with your son.

Unfortunately its a fact that during the growing years, the Myopia increases in severity. So his power can increase further from here too.

There is no diet or medicines which can the alter the natural course of the progression.

He will need refractive correction with spectacles/contacts till his eyesight stabilizes.
Once the progression stops - Usually by puberty, surgical correction can be tried
These include: LASIK, Intraoccular lens etc.

An experienced ophthalmologist can suggest you the best plan then.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr Kiran.