How can I grow till my potential height?

Hello i would like to know how tall i will be despite the fact that my dad is only 5'9 Could i reach 6,0?" I want to know good ways to reach my potential height please be very detailed in your response. :D
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 42 minutes later

Could you let me know your present height and weight?

Your potential height would depend on many factors - hereditary would be one of them. Genetics is a major factor in determining the height of individuals. According to a study, Human height is 60%–80% heritable.

Proper medical care and adequate nutrition are also important factors.But still you may reach 6 feet with proper nutrition and exercises.
On average, female growth velocity trails off to zero at about 15 years, whereas the male curve continues for approximately 3 more years, going to zero at about 18. So you have two more years of growth.

You may check some facts before you can proceed further.
You have to undergo X-rays of growing ends of your long bones. If the growing ends are present in the long bones you have a further potential to grow tall.

If your height is below average and growing ends are present in your long bones, next is to check you Growth Hormone level. If Growth Hormone level in less, you have to take supplement Growth Hormone.

If you are obese, you will not only look short, but you will definitely be short. The reason is Growth Hormones gets deposited in the fat cells. When a person loses weight there is a growth spurt because of the Growth Hormone released from fat cells. So that is why I asked your weight to know whether you are obese.

As for exercise, do not do weight-lifting or such exercises where weight are carried. Those who do regular weight-lifting before reaching maximum height do not grow tall.
You may do limb stretching exercises. Best is swimming, cycling and pull-ups.
Taking plenty of calcium-rich diet. Calcium supplements also help. Vitamin B Complex is also important growth factors.

Hope this answers your query, I am available for follow ups as well
Follow-up: How can I grow till my potential height? 25 hours later
My Height and weight are as follows. 153 Lbs Muscular toned body. And my height is currently 5'9. Also is there any way to help my growing with supplements or something of that manner? And No i am not obese please get back to me with a detailed response following my weight and current height. I was wondering if just because im the same height as my dad now, Can i reach my wanted height of 6'Foot. I am going to start cycling swimming, and i do daily exercises. And i eat very healthy Sometimes mcdonalds but it cant be to bad every once in a while right
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Yes, you still have 2 more years in which increase in height is possible and so you may still reach 6 feet.

You may take calcium and B complex supplements along with a healthy diet. Also start limb stretching exercises like swimming, cycling, etc.

Hope my answers are informative and useful to you.

Wish you good health!!

Follow-up: How can I grow till my potential height? 10 hours later
Also, would i need to get a HGH From my doctor? and also, i have family members on my mothers side who are pretty tall, So does height have to come from the mother and father? And dont males continue growing until 21?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back,

No, you need HGH only after HGH assay suggests there is lack of it your body. I have explained this in my first detailed answer.

The height genes may be inherited from your mother too. So if family members on your mother's side are tall, you may also be tall.

Scientifically, we cannot talk about age - 18 or 21. What is scientific is to undergo X-rays of growing ends of your long bones. If the growing ends are present in the long bones you have a further potential to grow tall.

Wish you good health.