How can I get rid of pain in my arms?

for approx 2 months i have had pain between my left upper arm and wrist. at first it happened only at bed time. now it occurs all day, every day and gets worse at night.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

An arm contains three major bones and nerves as well as muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints. Arm pain between upper arms and wrist can arise from any of these structures.

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:
1)     What is the nature of the pain? Is it burning in nature or radiating from the elbow?
2)     Is there any swelling of the area or did you have any recent injury to the area?

Such kind of arm pain can be due to bursitis, sprain or strain, tendonitis or tennis elbow. At your age, fibromyalgia and arthritis also need to be ruled out.

Complete physical examination along with investigations like ESR blood, Rheumatoid factor, creatine kinase, electromyography, MRI joint and arm and muscle biopsy may be needed to make a diagnosis. I advise you to get these tests done after consulting an orthopedician.

Till that time, apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How can I get rid of pain in my arms? 2 hours later
thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX i did not injure my arm or elbow, the pain is burning and radiates from the shoulder to my elbow and wrist, seeming to take up residence in my upper arm. i do not have any chest pain. i have been taking Aleve and last night had 9 in 6 hours, along with 3 Advil. these medications did not help.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Burning pain radiating from the shoulder to elbow and wrist is usually due to nerve cause and may be due to pinched nerve, brachial neuralgia due to involvement of brachial plexus or due to spinal causes like spinal stenosis or spinal decompression.

Treatment for a pinched nerve depends on the nerve involved, the extent of injury or the severity of the condition and the cause of pinched nerve. Medication like anti-inflammatory analgesics and NSAID’s and vitamin B 12 supplements are often prescribed. Other methods include physical therapy or surgical decompression. You should consult a neurologist and get it evaluated.

You need to get a NCV (nerve conduction velocity test) and a MRI of the spine done to rule out these causes.

Hope this answers your query.