How can I get rid of leg pain?

ENT Specialist
i am 34 yrs female house wife , i have 02 kids age 8 and 6 yrs , i have heal pain problem in my both legs ( slight bone growth ) , what i should do to get rid of this issue
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The condition you are suffering from could be Plantar Fasciitis secondary to Calcaneal Spur. Calcaneus is a bone in the foot which has calf muscle inserted onto the back of this bone by a strong tendon. When the muscles of the calf are overloaded there will be extra strain on the muscles and its tendon on the soles of the foot. The overload can cause inflammation and even small cracks. If this assault continues then the repairing process takes place by wrapping the inflammed part in a bone like thing which leads to a small bone like projection in the calcaneum (the heel bone) called spur.

But it is not the spur itself that causes the pain, it can also be due to the shock-absorbing fat pillow under the foot shrinking over the years and becoming less effective. This is usually seen in middle aged and overweight females.

Once a calcaneal spur develops it will be difficult to treat. Medical therapy in the form of anti-inflammatory drugs is started initially and if it does not respond for this therapy then surgery is done to excise the spur. The best thing is to avoid the predisposing factors and follow the suggestions below.
1.     Weight reduction
2.     Avoid wearing high heel sandals
3.     Wearing shoes with a soft insole
4.     Elevation of the foot while resting
5.     Avoid straining of the legs when the pain is noticed
6.     Cold compress over the affected region during pain
7.     Anti-inflammatory medicines (such as ibuprofen/diclofenac) during the episode of pain

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar