How are pre-ventricular contractions during pregnancy controlled ?

I was just diagnosed with occasional PVCs and the doctor saw an occasional trigeminy as well. I am 21, female, and 9 weeks pregnant. I am 5ft tall and approx. 110lbs. I started feeling the PVCs about 2 weeks ago and I am quite scared. Can you further explain what i am at risk of and what may be causing it? What kind of treatment is needed?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 54 minutes later

Pre- ventricular contractions/ palpitations /Trigeminy are common to occur in pregnancy.

Pregnancy is a hyprevolemic state.

It puts a new stress on the heart that may bring out a tendency for rapid heart action that was not manifest prior to pregnancy.

The stroke volume of heart increases which is the cause.

Also under the influence of progesterone the heart can beat irregularly occasionally.

So it is a normal thing in pregnancy which can be ignored.

But if the palpitations are accompanied with dizziness or shortness of breath or any past history of cardiac problem, It needs to be addressed immediately.

It is better to avoid coffee, tea, alcohol and cigarettes.This can also can also bring on palpitations.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: How are pre-ventricular contractions during pregnancy controlled ? 10 hours later
mine are accompanied by shortness of breath as well as dizziness. that is why i am so scared. i can feel them every time they happen too. it is very scary for me. this did not happen during my first pregnancy. will this go away later in my pregnancy? it happens frequently throughout the day so i am always on edge and becoming extremely anxious.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 9 minutes later

Nice to see you again.

Then I suggest you to consult your obstetrician or cardiologist as soon as possible.

And if the reports like echocardiogram and ECG are normal you need not worry.

Later you can follow up your doctor on a regular check up.

Hope I answered your query.