How are keloids on the chest and back treated ?

hi i am female 25 yr old suffering from the problem of keloid on chest as well as back .from last 9 years Please suggest me some treatment except the surgery and steroid injection to get rid of this as soon as possible.Suggest me doctor if possible in Amritsar.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for the query.

A keloid as you know is a proliferation of connective tissue which can occur in response to local trauma or possibly from a local surgical procedure.

Unfortunately there are really no good over-the-counter topical preparations that will really make a difference. Some people try using topical steroid creams but the results are quite limited.

Surgery is certainly an option and I understand why you do not want to go that route.

As an alternative to surgery steroid injections can actually work extremely well. They are not very painful and are very easy procedures that physicians can perform in the comfort of their own office. Generally these injections will lead to a significant degree of symptomatic improvement within a few days. Sometimes the keloid will resolve completely.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I am sorry that I am not able to let you know that there are good alternatives to surgery or the steroid injection. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: How are keloids on the chest and back treated ? 10 hours later
hi i am not at all satisfied with this answer...I have written it that i neither want surgery nor steroid .So better give me some other solution..give me some home remedy.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

As I stated, there is no over the counter remedy that has been proven effective for treatment of keloid. In this sense, over the counter means "home remedy." There is no remedy that has been published, tested and proven effective.

There is some claim that topical preparations including cider vinegar have some activity. My patients who tried it have not seen many good results but it may be worth considering.

Here is a link to the site which talks about this as well as a recipe for the topical remedy.

Thank you so much again for the query and followup. Hopefully this has served to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns we are here for you.

Dr. Galamaga