How are hydroceles in the testicles treated ?

I am 61, weigh 200 lbs, am 5 11 height and diagnosed recently with a hypercele in my right testicle with an ultrasound.

I recently had back pain and the dr gave me a list of exercises to do (leg lifts, toe touches, etc) which I think maybe caused the hypercele although he says he doubts it.

When I was 40, I had a vacectomy and encounterd a similar problem a few days after surgery. At that time, the Dr drained the fluid with a needle & I was OK until now.

Is there any way to fix this hypercele without surgery (medication) or what about laser surgery or what about draining with a needle aspiration with a sclerosing drug to prevent reaccumulation ?

I really dread being cut open again in this area.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 35 minutes later

I do understand that you have anxiety regarding the surgery for hydrocele.

Hydroceles are not associated with performing exercises for backpain.

Hydroceles are usually not XXXXXXX and they are usually only treated when they cause discomfort or embarrassment, or if they are large enough to threaten the testicle's blood supply.

Since this is a surgical issue, and the collection of fluid is due to a opening in the sac, this cannot be treated with medications.

One option is to remove the fluid in the scrotum with a needle, a process called aspiration. However, surgery is generally preferred. Aspiration may be the best alternative for people who do not want surgery or have certain surgical risks.

Sclerosing (thickening or hardening) medications may be injected after aspiration to close off the opening. This helps prevent the future build up of fluid.

Hydroceles that do not go away on their own over a period of months or which recurr after needle aspiration and sclerosant injection should be evaluated for possible surgery (hydrocelectomy).

You might consult a general surgeon, who can examine you and then perform the procedure for injection of sclerosant after needle aspiration of the hydrocele.

I hope this helps.

I hope this answers your questions and clears your doubts. Please feel free to contact me , if you have additional doubts or questions.