How are degloving injuries treated ?

My mother( 55 years) slip fall from a moving bus three months back. Her right lower limb got injury.No bone fracture. But doctors said it was degloving injury. Subsequently, she was hospitalised and the dead skin layers were removed and new muscles were slowly grown. Finally, skin crafting operation were carried out. After the tremant,now she is discharged from hopital. But her lower limb swelled and has pain. Could you please assisst me how go ahead for further proceedings. She is in pondicherry. And i am working in chennai.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 44 minutes later
Hi Vettrivelan

The degloving injuries are dealt the same way as your doctor have done it. These are not uncommon after motor vehicle accidents.

Coming to the current symptoms, these are expected as a part of healing process. Your mother might be given painkillers along serratiopeptidase supplements. She has to continue them along with antacids. Swelling will take time to subside. Otherwise she has to go for regular checkups as specified by the doctor.

If the pain keeps increasing and she is not able to move the distal toes or ankle, you see black skin discoloration of the distal limb, she needs revision by the same surgeon again. Grafting these chronic fibrotic wound beds often results in only partial graft take and/or graft contractures. Large degloving wounds have copious amounts of drainage, bacterial contamination, and relatively avascular wound beds, all of which impede successful closure with skin grafts.

Exercise that might stretch or injure the graft should be avoided for 3 to 4 weeks. Some people need physio therapy after their skin graft.

Kindly specify what kind of assistance you need along with this advice.

Wish her Good Health.
Follow-up: How are degloving injuries treated ? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

Actually, she couldn't able to fold her leg properly and it gets swelled even if she walks or stands for short duration of time.

At this condition, is she required further treatment. If so, could you please suggest which hospital in pondicherry is most appropriate for consulting and further treatment.(So far consulted doctor is not available because of his higher education)

Kindly advice me.
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 2 hours later
Hi Vettrrivelan,

Good to hear from you again.

JIPMER is the best option for you in pondichery for consulting. Your mother needs physical examination to give an opinion, so better consult physician in JIPMER.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish your mother a speedy recovery.