How are blood blisters on the toe treated ?

Last night I was walking and jammed my foot into a rock, leaving a blood blister on the tip of my big toe. Its about the size of a rice grain. It currently hurts. How should I treat it? Right now I have a band aid on it.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 28 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your post on Ask a doctor.

Toe injuries are very painful, due to the small tissue spaces and any injury results in swelling and increased pain.

I will assume that you can still move your toe, at the joints, though you may have some pain. In such a case, any form of toe fractures can be ruled out.

In your case, you might have developed a small intradermal collection of blood at the tip of the toe due to the impact of the injury.

Such blisters can be treated conservatively. A few tips suggested here will be very helpful to take care of your symptoms.

1. elevate the limb involved, and apply cold packs to the affected toe. This should reduce the blood flow and hence the swelling and the pain.

2. Take some ibuprofen 400 mg tablets every 8 hours for the next 4 days. This should reduce the pain and the swelling if any.

3. Apply a gauze bandage (available in the bandaid kit) over the affected toe, so as to avoid bumping into anything and causing more pain.

4. since the blister is of small size, it should resolve on its own and get absorbed within a couple of days. Hence keep the bandage on, as long as you have the pain.

Most of your symptoms should resolve soon and you should be able to get back to your regular activities in no time.

I hope this helps to answer your question effectively.

Please feel free to consult me if you have any doubts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr Anvekar.