How about drinking red wine daily. Does this prevents heart and regulate blood pressure?

hi doctor.
How about drinking a red wine daily before Going to bed?
Does this prevents heart and regulate blood pressure really?
can this be a habit?
will this lead to any side effects?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Under moderation is good...

Detailed Answer:

Red wine has health benefits when taken under moderation. It is known to have antiatherosclerotic properties which are beneficial. However since it is also an alcoholic beverage, above limited amounts can cause similar health problems like any other alcohol product.

The quantity of alcohol that falls under limit differ from individual to individual - weight of the individual and the metabolizing effects of liver. For all circumstance, I suggest my patients not to consume more than 400ml of red wine to avoid health problems.

If you keep it under moderation, you can enjoy the drink!!

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: How about drinking red wine daily. Does this prevents heart and regulate blood pressure? 13 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. I'm obese and weighing 90 kg. My height is 178. In such a case Its advisable to take 50ml daily. Sorry if my understanding is wrong
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
That's okay...

Detailed Answer:

50 ml of red wine every day is ok. But I see your weight is slightly above limits. And red wine alone without dietary and life style changes is not sufficient to reduce weight.

As over weight is more riskier than not taking wine, I recommend you to concentrate on shedding the extra weight. You can take my word that red wine alone is not sufficient. You will need more efforts and dedications to shed that weight.

Hope that helps.