Hit my ankle. Getting swelling and tingling sensation. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I was in an accident Last Thursday, I hit my left lower leg pretty hard now my ankle is swollen and I have blood pooling on the top of my foot with tingling in my toes/
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Injury to the foot or ankle can cause swelling to the affected region.

If you suffer an injury to your foot there are a few things that you can do to relieve the swelling. Rest the injured foot and refrain from walking on it, apply a cold item to the swollen area, wrap the foot or ankle in a bandage, and finally lie down and elevate the foot on a pillow or stool.

If the swelling does not subside with time or from your home remedies, contact your Orthopaedician as you may have a broken bone or a fracture. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Injury to the foot or toe, stubbed or broken toes are common causes of tingling sensation in feet and toes.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Hit my ankle. Getting swelling and tingling sensation. What should I do? 40 minutes later
an xray was done when I was transported to the hospital and they showed no broken bones or fractures so why would my ankle be swollen like it is with dark bruising

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 41 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

If xray shows no fracture, cause of swollen ankle and brusing might be due to Soft tissue injury usually takes 1-2 weeks to heal.

I advice you to take antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen to control the pain and inflammation.Apply creape bandage compression but not too tight and elevate the limb.Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.