Hit cheekbone, swollen, bruised skin, motrin, treatment

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 31 minutes later

As your little one has got hit by a very hard /fast thrown ball, observe him for couple of days, unless the crack is large enough to cause a scar in future on the face. He can blame you in future for a scar if you do not get stictched / glue at the right time.

Ice packs every 4-5 hours for 10 minutes each for a day. If he is doing fine, I would suggest to continue the same treatment and cold compressions. I expect the swelling and pain to come down in a couple of days.

Look for the following, if any one of these happen please take him to ER.
1) Vomitings
2) Complains of severe headache with vomitings
3) Loss of conscious
4) Bleeding from the wound / nose
5) Swollen / Black eye

Hope this answers your query.