History of sudden drop in sperm ejaculate. Have enlarged prostate, hepatitis C. Taking Dutasteride. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am 54 years man. 4 years ago I discovered my sperms ejaculate suddenly dropped and I have been unable to impregnate my young wife with whom we have a girl. What could be wrong? I have an enlarged prostrate that is benign and presently on dutastaride. I also have hepatitis C.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The prostate plays a role in sexual function, producing 85%-90% of the fluid volume produced during ejaculation.
Prostatic hyperplasia can cause erectile dysfunction or decreased libido and decreased sperm volume. This is not likely to affect the sperm count and the ability to father a child. You can get a semen analysis done and confirm this.
Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables.

Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are very crucial to sperm health.
You can consult a urologist and get the appropriate supplements prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: History of sudden drop in sperm ejaculate. Have enlarged prostate, hepatitis C. Taking Dutasteride. Reason? 11 hours later
The problem is My libido is ok but their presently no ejaculate after reaching orgasm. Rather a small ejaculate appears later on my pants. So if a sample cannot be obtained in the usual way what should I do now?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The decrease in the volume of semen is due to the decreased secretions of the prostate gland. To get a sample, you should avoid having sex for at least one week and then get your sample tested. You can also consult a urologist for the required investigations.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: History of sudden drop in sperm ejaculate. Have enlarged prostate, hepatitis C. Taking Dutasteride. Reason? 1 hour later
I have tried abstaining for even 3 weeks but still no ejaculate after orgasm but soiled pants later. Does it mean I am infertile?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Without a semen analysis, it cannot be determined that your fertility is intact or not.
A decreased volume of semen is not necessarily associated with infertility. You must consult a urologist for a detailed evaluation.
Regards.