History of high bp, diabetic, stroke. BP still high while on medication. Remedy ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mom is 75 yrs old, hx of high bp, diabetic, hx of stroke 6 yrs ago. According to my dad and her. Her bp is 175 over 80 and has been high the last four days. No other signs of feeling sick. She is taking her medication daily. What should we do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later

A blood pressure of 175/80 is definitely high. It means that the drugs she is getting are insufficient to control her blood pressure and the treatment she is getting needs to be reconsidered.

I urge to consult your treating physician regarding the raised systolic blood pressure readings as early as possible.

Reducing fatty foods, salt and increasing citrus fruits, garlic, fish, and brown rice in her diet will help. Also avoid stress. Yoga, meditation, physical exercise and weight reducing measures are also beneficial in lowering blood pressure.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.