History of heart failure and artial figulation. Developed blisters on calf and swollen feet. What's wrong?

Jan 2013

My husband, who has a history (last six years) of heart failure and artial figulation (which is controlled by medication) has just developed blisters on the front and back of hit right calf. He has quite bad swelling of his feet and lower legs, and takes diaretics for this, but was advised by his doctor that he can adjust this medication if he feels the need to. Can you help
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of cellulitis (superficial skin infection) of right lower limb.
Presence of blisters on both aspect of right lower limb suggests the diagnosis.
Swelling in lower limbs due to heart disease is generally on both side, not only in right lower limbs.
There may also be possibility of underlying XXXXXXX vein thrombosis in right lower limb which is now infected with formation of cellulitis.

You should immediately consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and general surgeon simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
Your husband should go for complete hemogram, blood culture & sensitivity, renal function test, color doppler studies of both lower limbs.
He should take complete antibiotic course, serratiopeptidase and trypsin & chymotrypsin for reduction of edema in right lower limbs.
He should also apply hot water soakings for soothing effect.

Smell in lower limbs may be due to cellulitis (an infected site) or due to poor hygiene.
In my opinion, his condition won't improve after increasing dosage of diuretics.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava