History of diarrhea and bleeding. Colonoscopy showed red and swollen lymph node. Any ideas?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi my nearly 4 year old has a history of
Diarrhea and bleeding
She just had colonoscopy done
And they found lymph nodes red and swollon
In colon please have u any idea
What could cause this
Where worried
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your anxiety, however, I shall appreciate if you can upload the colonoscopy report using the facility on this platform to guide you better. The reason for asking the report is that lymph nodes are usually reported on ultrasound and not on colonoscopy. Areas of the colon may be congested and swollen due to infection.

I shall appreciate if you can provide with the following information too:
1. How long has been the diarrhoea persisting?
2. What is the frequency?
3. Are the stool watery or semi-solid and the colour?
4. What has been the stool routine report?
5. Has any ultrasound been done?
6. What medications have been prescribed till now for diarrhoea?
7. Any other investigations which have been done? What is the haemoglobin level?

In the interim I suggest that you stop your daughter's iron and multivitamin medications till the diarrhoea get controlled as iron preparations are known to cause diarrhoea in a few patients.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: History of diarrhea and bleeding. Colonoscopy showed red and swollen lymph node. Any ideas? 6 days later
Hi I don't have report yet after two weeks
I've uploaded a picture taken. From
Colonoscopy . As for diarrhea my daughter has been
Suffering for two and half years plus with
This , she has had no ultra sound scans or
Any other scans. They haven't done any
Blood tests for more than a a year and half.
I'm struggling to find answers and really need help pls.

Thank you for the update.

I appreciate that you have uploaded the picture. However, the picture has to be seen in conjunction with other findings and detailed reports. It is really surprising that the doctors have performed the colonoscopy without doing a basic work up which includes:
1. Haemogram.
2. Periperal smear.
3. Blood biochemistry.
4. Ultrasound of whole abdomen.
5. Stool routine and occult blood.

I can understand your anxiety and would suggest that you discuss with the treating doctor so that a plan of action can be worked out and you get an answer to your child's problem.

I hope I have clarified things so that you are able to discuss the issues with the doctor.

RKK

Follow-up: History of diarrhea and bleeding. Colonoscopy showed red and swollen lymph node. Any ideas? 6 hours later
From your opinion does it look like lymph
Nodes .
That's why I payed for u to answer this
Plus are lymph nodes ment to be seen in
Colon and colon wall ?
I'm sick and tired of waiting for biopsys
And the doctor treating my daughters case
As nothing . Please answer these question
Where I live it isn't easy to change doctors.
So where stock. Please help

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

The picture does not reveal that the swelling are lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are not seen on colonoscopy in the lumen of the colon or the colon wall. Lymph nodes are situated in the abdominal cavity in the mesentry and can be made on ultrasound or CT scan.

I hope I have answered the question that has been troubling you. To help you come to a conclusion I had asked for more details.

RKK