History of blood donation. Blood test showed low iron level. How to increase this level?

Oncologist, Radiation
Since Nov., I have not been able to give blood due to a low (I think) red count. I have already given 46 gallons; I've always been in excellent health. I'm 52 and in good physical health. I bike three times a week and I swim three times a week. I did go to the doctor, and my blood tests show that my body does not have iron nor is it storing iron. She just has me come back every month (for the past three months) to have my blood tested. I am exhausted - to the point that I can't even swim the 2.5 to 3 miles a day I usually swim. I'm exhausted to the points that sometimes i call in sick just so I can sleep because I'm too exhausted to get out of bed ... this happens about once every 32 - 38 days. I just went back to the doctor yesterday (My third time to see her) . She said my results look better, but I'm still not storing any iron. WHAT can i do to help my body to store Iron? I eat two hard boiled eggs and a cup of fruit (usually blue berries) for breakfast, a can of spinach every day for lunch, dinner I will have another veg. high in iron and either fish or chicken. I drink 100oz of water a day and work out five to six days a week.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 2 hours later
Hi Madam,

Thank you for posting your query at Health Care Magic Forum.

You have given a history of blood donation for several times. Now you have found your body does not store iron. Now I just want to inform that decrease in hemoglobin called anemia. There are many types. Your clinical history goes more in favor of hypoproliferative anemia. This can be diagnosed by peripheral blood (red cell morphology) picture. If reticulocyte production index <2.5 and normocytic normochromic red cell it means hypoproliferative anaemia.

Now I want to know following blood report

-serum iron
-Total iron binding capacity (TIBC)
-percent transferrin saturation
-serum ferritin.
now if TIBC is increased it will be iron deficiency anaemia.

Now if the diagnosis is confirmed both oral or parenteral ( intravenous injection ) iron therapy can be considered. Consult your doctor, he will discuss this issue more elaborately. Keep me posted. I will be available to answer your queries. Wish you a good health.