Hip replacement surgery. On iron supplements. Is iron deficiency related to the recovery from surgery?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello, I have just taken 2 common blood tests. I am male and 59. My Hemglobin on the 1st test was 10.5. The doctor wanted me to do a colonostemy. I had hip replacement surgery last year and my results prior to surgery were perfect. I decided to take iron supplements and change my diet and the latest blood test 3.5 weeks later shows a count of 11. Is the iron deficiency related to the recovery from surgery?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 5 hours later

It would have been better if you specified how long after the surgery did you get the hemoglobin levels checked. Immediately post major surgeries such as hip replacement can cause anaemia; the reason being blood loss during surgery. And yes, iron supplements would improve the levels.

However if the test were done after a year since surgery, it is important to find any other cause of anaemia. I agree with your doctor, you need to be evaluated starting with colonoscopy to rule out lower intestinal blood loss.

Iron supplement can treat nutritional (iron deficiency) anaemia as well as blood loss anaemia. So go ahead with the suggested test.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Hip replacement surgery. On iron supplements. Is iron deficiency related to the recovery from surgery? 2 hours later
Ok, I understand but what I don't understand is that I have no symptoms at all. My skin isn't pale, I am not fatigued (work out 3 days a week and work 12 hours a day) I have no signs of bleeding at all; not in my stool, or pee or otherwise. Could it be a parasite infection?
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 15 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

Parasitic infections are common in children and early adulthood. At your age, lower gastrointestinal bleeding has been documented as the commonest cause of anaemia.

Pallor, fatigue, weakness and other symptoms / signs appear proportional to haemoglobin values. In many patients with mild anaemia (haemoglobin values of 10mg %) we do not see any clinical symptoms.

Hence it is appropriate that you undergo investigations such as colonoscopy. Stool test for occult blood may be done before we plan colonoscopy. Discuss about it with your treating physician.

Good luck and go ahead for the test and keep me updated

Hope this answer is clear and convincing. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you a healthy life.