High blood pressure. Not controlled by medicine. Suggest effective medicine

Dec 2012

I have high blood pressure. my last reading was 200/100. Iam on three meds. aldactone 25mg 1x daily
300 mg avapro at bedtime,25mg coreg 2x daily. Thease are not effective. What are my options?
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Your welcome and thanks for posting on this forum
Your options are multiple but I'll guide you through a few.
First, you have to go back to your doctor and place the complaint(he alone can modify your treatment).
Treatment modifications has to be done. Optimal dosages of each drug can be done. Your doctor can start by increasing the dosage of each drug gradually until the blood pressure can be stepped down (while taking note of the side effects due to increase).
Aldactone (spirinolactone) can be stepped up to 100mg daily (monitoring blood potassium is paramount), Avapro (Irbesartan) 300mg (already optimal), coreg (carvedilol) 25mg is already on optimal dosage. In this situation, your doctor will most likely switch your hypertensive medication to other classes. The type of class will solely depend on your doctor as they are a wide range of antihypertensive medications and they are given according to each individual.

Hope this was helpful and let me know if got other worries.

Best regards

Dr Nsah