High SGOT and AST level. Anything to worry about?

I just received my blood test results and everything is normal except SGOT/AST level which is at 41. Anything to worry about?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I do not think there is any reason to worry about.

The level is just outside the range. Normal level for an adult varies from 10-40 IU/l again that vary from laboratory to laboratory.

This is basically an enzyme normally measured to know the liver function.

As you are taking cholesterol lowering medication this is normally asked at regular intervals to see any effect on liver function.

Still the level is just above normal. I do not see any reason for concern at present. Just keep a watch on this.

Mild elevation may be the effect of drug you are taking.

It is advisable that you get it checked at least twice in a year. In case the level continuously keeps rising above this level then you need to discuss with your physician about discontinuation of drug or reduction in dose etc.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.