High RDW and low RBC count. Should I be concerned?

I have had consistently high rdw-cv and and rdw-sd with low red blood cell counts over the years dating back to 2008. Is this a concern?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

You have a very slightly abnormal RDW Which has fluctuated right around the normal range in your previous blood tests. It does not look like you have any kind of anemia although I do not see any hemoglobin results on your blood tests.

Sometimes a very high RDW Can reflect some type of deficiency such as iron or vitamins. You have had your vitamin B12 level and Froehlich acid level checked and these look normal. You might request that your doctor check your iron level to see if that might explain some of the fluctuation on your blood tests.

Otherwise there is no need for concern at this time.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga