High Lipase, abdominal pain, peptic ulcer disease, acid production in stomach

Blood test shows lipase high at 110. Constant abdominal pain. CAT of abdomin was normal. Endoscopy forthcoming. Thin build, very occasional drinker, not family history. What is your opinion?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Follow-up: High Lipase, abdominal pain, peptic ulcer disease, acid production in stomach 4 minutes later
Is it ok to wait for appt with GI doc until Apr. 20th. I am not in pain, but discomfort all the time, whether I eat or do not eat. Also, being that CAT was normal, does that rule out stomach ulcers?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 32 minutes later

Since the CAT Scan is normal, it rules out pancreatic abnormalities (Pancreatitis to be specific). But it does not rule out peptic ulcer disease. You might have to wait for the endoscopy for the proper diagnosis of ulcers.

In addition the the referance values of Serum Lipase - are - 0 to 160 units per liter (U/L). Hence your levels of 110, are within normal levels.

The most probable cause of your symptoms could be excessive acid production.

You might benefit by taking antacids like Mylanta , Maalox, etc, to neutralise the acid in the stomach. In addition, omeprazole (Prilosec) can be taken to reduce acid production in the stomach.

There is no need to panic at this moment. You can wait for your scheduled appointment with the GI doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.