High BP. Had vertigo, inner ear infection, wobbly feet. Emergency?

My husbands blood pressure is 200 over 101. I'm worried. Should I take him to the er? he was hospitalized from April 2nd to the 7th with vertigo and it was finally diagnosed as either an inner ear infection or the crystals in his inner left ear has gotten out of their sack. He still has trouble walking very well and says his legs feel quite rubbery. On the 10th of April, I brought him back to the ER as his blood pressure had fallen from 16somethng over ? to 70's over ? in about 2 hours. They put him in ICU for about 12 hours and concluded that the problem was a conflict in medications.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You should definitely take your husband to ER as this blood pressure is very high.
This high blood pressure becomes more serious in context of the fact that he is a diabetic also.
Hypertension is recognized as a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease and so is diabetes.When both co exist the risk is not merely added up but compounded.
The ideal antihypertensive therapy,in your husband,should be effective to reduce blood pressure to the target of 130/80 mmHg or below.
Take your husband to ER and get ECG and other relevant investigations done.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.