High BP, EKG normal, high glucose. Suggested for repeat test with HBa1c. Risks of stoke?

I'm a 43 year old male. I'm pretty active (play squash 5 times a week, stair stepper 2-3 times a week, trying to swim, and lift some weights)

Recently my cousin who is 52 yrs old had a mild stroke. Ever since it has got me worried and has been playing on my mind.

Last Fri night when I went to bed, even though officially I was asleep, I was still seeing lot of thoughts race by in a mind centered around stroke. Around 2 am, I woke up with the biggest scare of my life...I felt a big spasm/twitch on the left side of the face. I immediately went to the bath room and looked @ my face, moved my hands around, uttered some sentences repetitively. I was able to do all that and my face looked fine too.

Next day in the morning I went to my primary care as I was due for my annual. The nurse did my BP ( it was 142/86)..the EKG was normal (except for the PAC's on the graph)...the doctor calmed me down and re did the BP (it was 130/86). She said everything was fine and sent me back saying not to worry too much about everything and anything.

The lab results came in on Tue. All the blood work was normal, except Glucose. It was 105. As, I was concerned abt this, my doctor added a repeat test of the same along with HBa1c.
Being the nervous wreck I'm wjen it comes to doctors and health issues, I did not sleep well again on Wednesday night worrying about the Glucose levels now. So, thu morning I went in for my tests. The results have come back. The fasting glucose was now 103 and Hba1c was 5.2.
My primary care said that everything looks good and to stop worrying. She says I'm compulsive obsessive. I wanted to check the #s again on this forum and get a second opinion.
I'm trying to stay away from any processed food, sugar etc.
Pls advise
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 12 hours later

Your Sugar reports are arlight. Your fasting is 103 which is what is known as "Impaired fasting glucose" , however I would not give you this label without first rechecking it again after a few weeks. Impaired fasting glucose means you dont have diabetes not known but you are at high risk of it in future. You HbA1c is absolutely normal , so again I wouldn't worry much about your sugars

All in all keep exercising and keeping a good lifestyle and you would be fine. Keep away from free sugars ... that is always advisable

Hope that helps
Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Member of American Association of clinical endocrinologists.