High BP. Did blood tests and renal doppler. On metosartan and Amlo. Are they safe?

Hi, i am having BP of 180/108, My doctor has given me metosartan50 as one medicine + Amlo 10. is it ok to take.also, has given lot of blood tests + USG ABD and Renal doppler.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 19 minutes later

First of all please relax.

Your blood pressure is quite high. Multiple drugs are needed to control it.

The drugs given to you are fine and I think they are needed to control your blood pressure.

Let me try to explain you in detail.

There are 2 types of high blood pressure:

1. Essential hypertension: means there is no detectable cause of hypertension. This is common in person with family history of hypertension and normally (again not a rule) above the age of 35-40 years. We can find any reason for rise in blood pressure.

2. Secondary hypertension: means rise in blood pressure due to some reason like stress, kidney problems, some other disease etc.

At the time of diagnosis of hypertension proper investigations should be done so as to have baseline data at the time of diagnosis. Again it may help in finding a cause for high blood pressure so that it can be treated accordingly.

Renal Doppler is a test, which will test the blood flow the kidneys and its circulation. Kidneys play a very vital role in controlling blood pressure and in young hypertensive like you, at times some problem with kidneys are the culprit.

Please do following:
1. Take the medicines regularly as advised.
2. Get your blood pressure checked on regular basis as advised.
3. Reduce salt intake in diet.
4. Maintain good and healthy life style, control your diet, do regular exercise.
5. You should try stress relieving techniques like yoga and meditation which should help.

I hope this answers your query and clarify your doubts. Should you have any further queries, I will be available to address it.

Follow-up: High BP. Did blood tests and renal doppler. On metosartan and Amlo. Are they safe? 43 minutes later
Also, does it happen if you sleep less like 5-6hours daily. and is the only symptom to realise is head spinning as i am getting only that currently.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

I have seen the prescription.

When ever you have some physical or mental stress this is likely to happen. Again when the drugs are taken in initial days your body needs some time to get used to it.

Some minor aliments like this will be there for some time and they you will be fine.

Do take the drugs regularly, take proper rest and things will on track in some time.