High APTT and PTT level. Is it good to take Ecosprin and Heparin during pregnancy?

Hello Doctor,
My is wife is carrying (50days). We took all the test mentioned by the doctor, and found that her APTT count was 43 (the slab was of 40) and further blood test were taken with respect to it, and found that the PTT level was of 52 (were the slab was of 43), the doctor directed us to a cardiologist for further treatment. The cardiologist prescribed that she should take Ecosprin 75mg tablet 1/per day and Herparin 0000ml injection twice a day. My question is that is this good to take this dosage as prescribed. Doesn't it look too much of medicine in this period.

Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Raised PTT and APTT increases the chances of venous thrombosis and decreases the blood flow to the placenta causing growth retardation of the baby.

The doses of Heparin are regulated according to the levels of APTT and PT. After you start with heparin, the blood test is taken again after 7-10 days to see if the blood consistency has thinned down to the desired extent or not.

The doses recommended to your wife are appropriate for now and it is best to follow your cardiologist's advice.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: High APTT and PTT level. Is it good to take Ecosprin and Heparin during pregnancy? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your kind response towards my question; but doctor the genealogist whom we are going didn't say anything about the blood test to be taken after 7-10 days instead she told that this medicine to be carried till 8th month, the dosage of Herparin 0000cc is for 5 days. Then doctor one more clarification, the gynecologist started with another injection since last week stating that it is good for the growth of the baby and asked us to take each week till 14 weeks is this recommend to take.
My question for you is that i have given the value of the APTT and PTT and the dosages behalf of it is okay or not?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The values of APTT and PT are only mildly raised. 0000 units of heparin are given in cases of XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. Taking it only for 5 days is not going to harm your baby in any way.
Your doctor must have seen that the benefits outweigh the risks in your circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation would have prescribed this drug.
If you have a doubt in your mind then I advise you to go for a second opinion from another cardiologist regarding the management.
Hope my answer is helpful.