High ALT of 74, tested, heavy drinking the previous night. Abnormal result ?

I am a 56 yr old woman who has ALT level at 74. I took this test after a night of heavy drinking. Every year, blood work is done and since 2008, my ALT has been between 25 and 34. Is this cause for concern and could a night of heavy drinking the day before the test produce abnormal results? Should I have the test repeated and if so, how many days after I last drank wine?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

There is absolutely no need for concern.Your ALT level is high, but there are so many reasons for this. One single reading and that to this extent does not warrant any panic reaction.

As you must be knowing the normal level ALT up to 45 IU/L.

ALT measures insult to liver. It directly does not measure the damage to liver.

The possible reasons for high ALT in most of the cases are

1.High fat intake the previous day.

2.Alcohol intake previous night-which seems to be most likely cause in your case.

3.Some drugs.

4.Viral infections.

and other less common causes.

Please do not worry, wait for some time and then go for repeat test.

Please look for pain in abdomen, weight loss, weakness etc.which can point towards some infection.

Take care to avoid high fat food and alcohol for couple of days prior to test.

Please have look for regular check up for your lipid profile and keep the lipids under control. Go for ultrasound for liver later on in case your doctor plans to put you on cholesterol lowering medications.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.