Hiccup feeling in chest, but no hiccups, heaviness in chest, hard to breathe. What can it be ?

i have a hiccup feeling in my chest, but no hiccups. i also have the feeling to burp most of the time but i cant. when I try to push air down my throat trying to make myself burp my throat is blocked,no air will go down until i finally burp. i feel heavieness in my chest and makes it hard to breath it seems like. what can this be?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

In view of symptoms, I can think of two possibilities. First and more common is gastro-esophageal reflux. Second but less common is hiatus hernia.

In gastro-esophageal reflux, contents of stomach are refluxed back in esophagus, leading to symptoms and inflammation.

When part of stomach/gastro-esophageal junction is displaced up from its normal position and placed more in the chest region above diaphragm it is called hiatus hernia.

Ideal approach would be to try oral antacids. If these fail to help you with your symptoms, then you might need to see a Gastroenterologist) and consider getting investigations like barium swallow and endoscopy done.

Hope this answers your question. Please do write back if there are doubts.