Hi there My question is a bit detailed. About 2

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi there
My question is a bit detailed.
About 2 months ago I got a cough which got quite bad before I went to go see a doctor. He put me on Eryhtromycin and sent me for a chest x ray which was clear. He also sent me for a blood test which returned a slightly eleveated neotrophills 11.8 cell count. I only managed to get through 1/2 of the antibiotics as I have a sensitive stomach. I was better for about 1/2 a week and then got worse again. I went back and he put me on same antiobiotica and sent me for a CT scan of the lungs. This also came back clear. Around this time a certain point on my ribs became sore every time I cough or burp. I also noticed cracklings when I exhaled. Unfortunately again I only got through 1/2 the antibiotics.
Now same problem again, a week of being better and this time not only cough but a feeling of unwell, weakness and slight nausea.
He has put me on a 3rd course of antiobiotics and told me to finish them no matter what. Also has given me steroid and normal inhaler just in case. I have never suffered with Asthma but have had hay fever but never that has caused symptoms like this. I also have had a few very small specs of blood in my phlegm which started today.
My questions are:

1) what could be causing all of this, the cracklings when I exhale and the recurring cough.
2) when a CT and x Ray is clear does that generally mean I should not worry about cancer? (Does that include esophagal?)
3) What could the small specs of blood be that started today?
4) any other opinions or advice you have please.
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
With normal chest x ray and CT thorax, no need to worry for lung and esophageal cancer.
By your history and description, possibility of post infectious bronchitis is more likely.
Bronchitis is inflammation of airways.
It causes bronchospasm and this in turn causes cough, mucus collection in lungs.
This causes crackling sound during breathing.
Bronchitis can also cause hemoptysis (blood in sputum).
So better to get done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You will mostly improve with inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
Please let me know if are smoker.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Hi there My question is a bit detailed. About 2 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. I’m an ex smoker of 10 years. I have the occasional cigarette literally about twice a year but that’s it.
Why would I have slight tightness at the top of what feels like my sternum.
I also notice that the crackling is on exhale and gets worse when I lay down. Does that make a difference?
Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All these symptoms are more suggestive of bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Chest tightness is also a symptom of bronchitis.
And cracking sound especially during exhalation is also a feature of bronchitis because it causes bronchospasm especially during exhalation.
Please let me know if you have undergone PFT test.
Also tell me if you have breathlessness.

Perfect that makes sense.
Is there a reason that I would feel tired, weak and no appetite?

That’s the last question from me. Appreciate your time.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A these are also symptoms of bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
All these are also symptoms of bronchitis.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Don't worry, you will be alright with appropriate treatment.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.