Hi doctor..my daughter is having fever since yesterday night fever

Pediatrician
Question
Hi doctor..my daughter is having fever since yesterday night fever got down today but she is having nausea and vomitings even if she is taking fluids.she is 7 year old.please suggest
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to viral cause.Irrespective of treatment it may last for 7days

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and it is advisable to give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol (P-250, Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.