Hi. My last period was on Oct 6. Today is

Question
Hi. My last period was on Oct 6. Today is Nov 8. I had a few days of spotting on Nov 6 and 7. And today it stopped. Home tests shows negative. Is there a chance I could still be pregnant?
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Olya,

While home pregnancy tests can show pregnancy as early as the date for the expected period, they are most accurate 7 days after the 1st day of the expected period because HCG levels are higher then. So there is still some chance (although small) that you could be pregnant. I encourage you to retake the test in a few days to confirm that you are not pregnant.

I take it that you do not use hormonal contraception? If that is the case, what may have happened is that you may not have actually ovulated this cycle and when that happens, periods are irregular in timing and/or amount of flow. So the spotting may have been your period.

Failure to ovulate in a cycle every now and then is common, and often it's due to stress or some change in a person's life. Things usually return to normal either the next cycle or in 2 months.

Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.