Hi ! My appendectomy was about a month ago now.

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi ! My appendectomy was about a month ago now. Everything was fine and then I started having watery diarrhea that just got worse and worse until the pain was terrible. I called my surgeon and he said it was likely due to a build up of bad bacteria and prescribed a 2 week 3 times a day course of antibiotics. After a few days the watery diarrhea every hour turned to loose bowls once a day or so and seemed to get better. 4 days after I finished the antibiotics it came back and is getting worse and worse again. I’ve tried probiotics and it’s still getting worse. Is this just something I have to live with?! What will stop this madness?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking !

You are reporting to have had watery diarrhea and you continue to have ut after antibiotics.
To my opinion your symptoms may be due to :
- candida overgrowth
- C.difficile infection
This is why I suggest to do Fecal culture test to better evaluate the cause of your symptoms.
Meantime I suggest to use probiotics and metronidasole.
Please contact with your physician and discuss about my opinion.
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Hi ! My appendectomy was about a month ago now. 1 hour later
If c diff is caused by antibiotics then why would the symptoms get better while on antibiotics?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

C.difficile is a bacterial infection too. and it is treated with antibiotics like metronidazole or vancomocine.
It would be great if you send me whitch antibiotics did you use.
Otherwise you should perform fecal culture test to better evaluate the cause.
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Hi ! My appendectomy was about a month ago now. 5 hours later
My surgeon finally called back and he wants me to take immodium and probiotics for two days and if that doesn’t work go to the ER. I’m concerned that he has no clue what’s wrong or just doesn’t care. The ER is a waste of time and money bc all they will do is refer me back to the surgeon or another doctor. Flagyl is the name of the antibiotic he prescribed before.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
please perform the exams that I mentioned before and after that we will find a proper treatment.
meantime you can use probiotics
Dr. Klerida