Hi I have accidentally spilled hot water on the back

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
Hi

I have accidentally spilled hot water on the back of my hand and part of the wrist around 45 mins ago. I immediately placed the affected area under cold running water and applied a thick layer of burnol. There is however still a burning sensation. Is there anything else I can do to relieve the pain. I have silver nitrate ointment as well. Do pls let me know as am handling a 2.5 yr old toddler too.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ice-pack, Ibuprofen - tramadol

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns well.
This is called scalding and you have done a correct thing.
Since you have already applied thick layer of burnol, no need to apply silver nitrate at the moment.
Scalding does cause a lot of burning and for immediate effect you can do the following:
Put a crushed ice in a plastic bag and apply after keeping a thin cotton cloth like handkerchief on the affected area. This will help in reducing the pain.
You can take an anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Keep the affected part above the heart level on lying down by supporting with pillows as it helps further by avoiding or reducing edema and thus pain too.
I can understand it is late night but if possible arrange for any painkiller like tramadol - needs a prescription.
I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, after food

Detailed Answer:
Surely yes, take combiflam. I hope you have had your food as combiflam should be taken after food.
Yes, you have done the right thing.

Follow-up: Hi I have accidentally spilled hot water on the back 0 minute later
Thanks Doctor,

I have combiflam available at hand. Can I take the same..

Also before I received your reply, I ran my hand again under cold water to try and relieve some of the pain and reapplied burnol. Hope that was fine