Hi I have a mild disc bulge in cervical c3

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I have a mild disc bulge in cervical c3 to c7 also have posterior marginal osteophytes at c3- c4 with thecal sac. I have a hand pain with heaviness along with numness .numness increases while sleeping. Do I require collar.
Will this condition be cured with collar along with medication. Or this osteophytes formation require surgery? Please suggest me
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy will help.

Detailed Answer:
The heaviness and numbness that you have is due to marginal osteophytes which is an age related degenerative change of spine. Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.
Surgery is not needed right now. Exercise will help in preventing further progress of the problem.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Hi I have a mild disc bulge in cervical c3 17 hours later
Surgery not recommended right now means .I am asking about the permanent solution .in physiotherathy will this be cured without surgery.physiotheraphy will give permanent remedy? I want to fix this problem from the route cause please help me with the answer.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only exercise can help in keeping the vertebrae young and flexible forever.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The osteophyte formation is due to aging of the vertebral bodies. You cannot stop the aging. Even if you get it removed surgically this will re grow after a few years. The only solution is to delay your aging process. This can be done only with a regular exercise. Even surgery is also not a permanent solution.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.