Hi Doctor, Last Friday I have admitted in hospital with

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
Hi Doctor,
Last Friday I have admitted in hospital with hearbeat of 150.In ECG report they found that psvt and suggested me to go for EP study and RFA procedure. No other symptoms I have except palpitations.Is this procedure mandatory to go or is there any medication I can take instead of EP and RFA test.How safe is this EP study?
please give good suggestion to me.
Posted 5 days ago in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

After going through the medical details proivded by you i understand your concern and i would like to tell you that PSVT is not a life threatening arrythmia and if this the first time this has happened then in my opinion you need not go for EPS or RFA as of now.

However if you are experiencing it again and again, or frequently then you can go for EP study.

Regarding medication you can discuss with your doctor and you can start a low dose beta blockers (like Metoprolol) for the prevention of PSVT.

EP or ElectroPhysiological Study is completely safe and its just a diagnostic test to find out which electrical circut of the heart is creating a problem and then we can destroy that circuit with the help of RFA (Radio frequency Ablation).

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap