Hep b is poorly transmitted during sex. Person has unprotected sex with a hep person chances on infection are very low. Guide?

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Follow up on heterosexual intercourse hepatits b question ...I have read hep b is poorly transmitted during sex that if a person has unprotected sex with a person with hep chances on infection are very low if it is a single exposure somewhere 1 in 0000 of being infected I just want a second opinion on this

Tourniquet time for blood tests for hiv syphilis....I understand if the tourniquet the thick rubber strip wrapped around the upper arm before the blood being taken is on for over a minute it will affect the accuracy of some blood tests but not all.....would tourniquet time slightly longer than a minute affect tests for the above?
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX thanks for your query.

1.Every body fluid contains Hep B virus in an infected person. The most infective is definitely serum. How ever semen and saliva are 2 other fluid, through which , It can be transmitted, though with lesser risk. Exact figure I may not tell, but risk is around the same range.

2. Do you want to know effect of tourniquet time in tests for syphilis & HIV or for all other tests?

Waiting for your response.

Follow-up: Hep b is poorly transmitted during sex. Person has unprotected sex with a hep person chances on infection are very low. Guide? 7 hours later
tourniquet time for hiv syphilis and hep b tests

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 15 hours later
Hi
A prolonged tourniquet time may lead to blood pooling at the venipuncture site, a condition called hemoconcentration. Hemoconcentration can cause falsely elevated results for glucose, potassium, and protein-based analytes such as cholesterol.Ideally, the tourniquet should be in place no longer than one minute to prevent hemoconcentration.

So it may produce erroneous results of clinical chemistry. But it has been shown to produce any error in diagnosing HIV, HEP B or syphilis.
Hope it's all clear now.
Have a nice day.

Follow-up: Hep b is poorly transmitted during sex. Person has unprotected sex with a hep person chances on infection are very low. Guide? 28 hours later
The last sentence on your reply said: "But is has been shown to produce any error in diagnosing hiv hep b or syphilis .....should the word "not" be put in before the word shown?

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 7 hours later
Hi
Yes you are right.
I am sorry for the typographical error.
Re read it as 'But it has not been shown to produce any error in diagnosing HIV, HEP B or syphilis.'
Thank you very much.