Hemorrhoids, anus is swollen, painful, sensitivity

I have hemorroids and the cheek area around my anus is swollen and quite painful. it feels like the vein alongside my inner cheek line has swollen and is very sensitive. Is this common
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You have mentioned that you have hemorrhoids and currently you have developed painful swelling of the cheek are around the anus.

Its common to have hemorrhoids. However, painful swelling around anus is not common.

This can occur in couple of situations.

1. This could be sign of a Thrombosis of Hemorrhoids. In this, blood clot forms inside the hemorrhoids/veins, which becomes swollen and painful.

2. Another possibility is Strangulation of the Hemorrhoids. This occurs when there is blockage of venous flow inside hemorrhoids. This is also quite painful.

3. Rule out any Perianal Abscess

All require urgent surgical consideration.

You must visit your surgeon at the earliest and get yourself evaluated.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Thanks and Regards,