Hemoglobin was 7.6 prior to transfusion but has not increased much. Also has low WBC, platelets and RBC

My husband's hemoglobin was 7.6 last week prior to transfusion of 1 unit of blood. This week it is still only 7.9. He also has a low WBC, low platelets, and low RBC. He tested positive for occult blood on stool samples x3. We are awaiting a call from GI doctor to schedule a colonoscopy. We are certainly worried about the possibility of cancer because his hemoglobin has been gradually decreasing since April and hasn't been addressed until now. Are our worries founded?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of colon cancer is high.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your query and I am concerned with the findings. Suspicion of colon cancer is very high when hemoglobin is persistently high and stool reports show occult blood positivity.

At this point of time, just like your regular doctor I would only wait for colonoscopy report. The report will let us know if he has a benign ulcer/growth or cancer.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Wishing your husband good health.