Hello. My father is 86 years old and very XXXXXXX

Question
Hello. My father is 86 years old and very XXXXXXX Starting yesterday at Noon, he laid down and we couldn't get him up. He's been in bed no for 30 hours. Hasn't eaten or drank anything in that time period. He's gotten up a few times to pee. He said he's in no pain. He will speak and talk clearly and coherently. Should I take him to the ER or urgent care?
Posted Sun, 3 Dec 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
investigation is required

Detailed Answer:

staying in bed for 30 hours is definitely abnormal. The cause has to be identified. If he refuses to drink anything then soon his kidneys will get into danger. In old men even mild disorders may present this way. For example a lower urinary tract infection or mild to moderate hyponatremia may cause sleepiness and loss of appetite. Knowing his medications might have helped me to 'guess' potential disorders.

A doctor should examine him and order tests like urea, creatinine, complete blood count, sodium, potassium, calcium, urinalysis, etc.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!

Follow-up: Hello. My father is 86 years old and very XXXXXXX 7 minutes later
Thank you. He is on Amlodipine 5mg. He was also diagnosed 15 years ago with prostrate cancer. He never sought treatment for that, but he has had it all these years without any real issues. I've talked to him a few times already today and he is coherent (remembers XXXXXXX XXXXXXX will play the Broncos today), and says he's going to get up and take a shower and eat. But nothing, he just got up to the bathroom (I can't imagine he actually went) and then ran back to the bed. Should I take him to the ER?

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I believe you should

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

Unfortunately the new information does not add much to my initial evaluation. I believe that this is not normal and has to be investigated appropriately.

Kind Regards!