Hello Doctor My wife and I were blessed with baby

Question
Hello Doctor
My wife and I were blessed with baby boy on October 13th 2017. She is taking normal diet and regularly breastfeeding baby. Baby's birth weight was 3.79 kg and currently it is 3.66kg. I am looking for some dietary suggestions to improve Mother's diet which will aid in baby's better development. I read Omega 3 / DHA helps in development of baby's nervous system and mind. How can mother include such nutrients in her diet?She hasn't eaten eggs for last 2 years . If she starts eating Dha fortified eggs now, will it create any issues / allergy to baBy or Mother? What are some other best dietary options for mother which will benefit baby? She is taking Acucal, Anofer, Vitamin D , one more multivitamin. tabs daily. Baby has not crossed birth weight in 3 weeks.. What dietary change to incorporate so baby gains weight quickly.
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Omega 3/ DHA supplements can have side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Omega 3 and DHA supplements can have side effects.

It is true that omega 3 is required by eyes and brain for normal functioning. But there is chemical difference between omega 3 found in human and non-human resources. The non-human resources act like medicines and can have side effects mostly gastro-intestinal and allergic effects.

There fore I would recommend not to experiment and let the mother and baby have natural foods taken by whole family.

Mother should eat whatever she feels like eating and that will prevent any nutritional deficiencies. The diet can include fruits, extra servings of milk, high calorie foods like cookies, pastries, etc alongwith frequent meals. She can take cleaner water and frequent hand washing as precaution to infections.

Pregnancy and baby growth are natural phenomenon. Babies grow up best when given natural foods and breast milk.

Hope it clears your doubt. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee