Hello Doctor, As a typical software employee, I too have

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

As a typical software employee, I too have hair fall issue. I have a long silky hair which is used to be good before joining in IT industry. Its got increased recently I believe. What I have observed is, it is falling more when I do head bath with shampoo. When I searched in internet, I understood many has similar issue and applying shampoo frequently is not advisable. Is it true? what is the ideal frequency to apply shampoo on head? Also, please suggest any other tips to reduce hair fall.
Posted Sun, 3 Dec 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.

Shampoo does not lead to increased hair shedding. Only the hair that were weak and due to be shed soon are the ones that you would normally notice coming out on shampoo. Therefore the underlying cause is something else rather than a shampoo.
The fequency of shampoo is your own preference..some do it daily, others do it on alternate days or twice weekly. Shampooing on alternate days or even daily is considered fine just like washing face daily is fine.
As far as hair fall is concerned, androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of increased hair shedding in males where there is also associated hair thinning as well as receding anterior hair line leading to an M-shaped anterior hair line. There is frequently a genetic predisposition.
Other important common causes of increased hair shedding is persistent dandruff, preceding acute severe medical illness (e.g dengue, malaria, jaundice etc) or surgery, chronic illness, weight loss and nutritional deficiency to name a few.
Treatment is specific to the underlying cause e.g topical Minoxidil and oral Finasteride are FDA approved for Androgenetic Alopecia in males and Keticonazole based shampoo for dandruff.
I request you to kindly upload a few images of the scalp in "Reports section" so that I can judge the severity of your concern and guide you better.