Hello- I am switching my anxiety medication from Klonopin to

Question
Hello- I am switching my anxiety medication from Klonopin to Buspar. I currently take Trazadone to sleep, although I have read that there are major interaction issues.

I can go off the Trazadone and try an OTC Sleep Aid. Do you have any ideas or think Dyphenhydramine (sp) would work with Buspar?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
diphenhydramine works with Buspar(Buspirone)

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. Buspar and trazodone are not advised to eb taken together as there is a serious risk of interaction known as the serotonin syndrome. It’s a good idea to keep them apart.

However, diphenhydramine and buspar are good together. I will like that you check with your doctor to make sure trazodone was used for sleep and nothing else. While taking diphenhydramine, be conscious of dizziness, sleepiness, fatigue, etc that the combination might cause and be ready to report for prompt evaluation and guidance.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.