Heaviness in limbs, severe headaches and fatigue, epiglottis spasm, shaky hands, emergency care, normal BP, pulse 50, normal test results. Cause?

ENT Specialist
My husband XXXXXXX has had heaviness in limbs. severe headaches, epiglottis spasm, shaky hands severe fatigue for almost a month now we have been to the emergency room twice because his epliglottis or flapper keeps sticking and he can not inhale after coughing. No one can seem to find a answer to the problems he is experiencing. He is 40 yrs old and has a pulse of 50 and perfect blood pressure never has had any health problems he was in perfect health before this. They have ran alot of test but nothing comes back abnormal.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Laryngospasm due to an epiglottis falling back and sticking on is rare. Is there any video laryngoscopy that you can share? You may upload it onto a free file sharing site such as WWW.WWWW.WW and post a link here. A heightened laryngeal reflex may be due to a neurological problem. A softened or floppy epiglottis (Laryngomalacia) can be the cause. A bulky tongue pushing the epiglottis or a lesion / cyst on the underside of the epiglottis is a possibility. Is he overweight? Does he snore or have sleep apnea?

2. Considering the above signs and symptoms, and the fact that a lot of tests are within normal limits, I would definitely rule out conditions such as Parkinson's Syndrome, Huntington's disease and similar neurological problems by getting a Neurologist's opinion.

3. Which tests have been done? Can you list them with results?

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Heaviness in limbs, severe headaches and fatigue, epiglottis spasm, shaky hands, emergency care, normal BP, pulse 50, normal test results. Cause? 2 hours later
I feel like it might be more neurological just because of the severe headaches and heaviness of his limbs. He is not over weight he is very active and exercised 1hr-2hrs a day playing raquetball or riding rode bike before he got sick. Now he can barely go from the recliner to the bathroom he is so week. I think the shakiness comes from the fatigue but not sure. Thanks for your thoughts please let me know if you have anything else. I will get him to a neurologist this week.
He has had blood work, cultures, ct scan on his chest and neck and xrays all came back normal still waiting on the cultures.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Kindly let me know the results of his cultures and the Neurologist's reference. Is there any possibility of seeing a video of his Larynx?
As you have rightly pointed out, The possibility of a disease endemic in the Caribbean, probably insect borne should be kept in mind.