Heartburn,antacids,rantacadine,pressure under ribcage

I am 57 year old female 1.6 metres and weighing 70k. I have had quite a lot of heartburn lately but seemed to have it under control with antacids and rantacadine, However this last week I am awoken with a full hard feeling under the ribcage,Usually about 6 in the morning. I go to bed about 11 to midnight
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. This hard feeling under the ribcage early in the morning and given your history of acid reflux is due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) only. It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor. Also then get the possibility of gall bladder disease ruled it by getting an ultrasound gall bladder done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.