Heart starts racing when getting up, walking and sitting. Could this be related to the flu?

Question
I think I have the flu. It started with aches on Friday. My heart starts racing when I get up and walk and I have to sit down. Could this be related to the flu? I am also worried that I may have low iron due to heavy periods which I just had. I have had very heavy periods for about 3 months.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Flu (viral infection) can definitely present with headache and bodyache. Other symptoms can be fever, cough, Nasal congestion, fatigue and watering eyes.
This should settle in about a week’s time. As far as the palpitations are concerned, it can be due to dehydration (often seen with flu) or due to anemia ( since you do have heavy bleeding)
But considering your menstrual history and symptom of increased heart beat which is known as palpitations, the other possibility can be anemia. Anemia is a condition where in there is low hemoglobin levels in the blood which is most commonly due to iron deficiency.
One of the most common causes of anemia in females is heavy bleeding. Treatment includes not just treating the anemia but also removing (treating) the cause of anaemia which in your case is heavy periods.
I suggest you should XXXXXXX up physician for a proper physical examination. Heavy periods at age of 42 years can be suggestive of a diseased state too. We would need a basic workup including an ultrasound pelvis along with Pap smear done. Only after knowing the cause of heavy periods, treatment can be given to control the bleeding.
Meanwhile you should maintain good diet with iron XXXXXXX foods like liver, chicken, beef, fish with XXXXXXX leafy vegetables like spinach, fruits like water melon and dates. Drink plenty of water through the day.
I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Heart starts racing when getting up, walking and sitting. Could this be related to the flu? 21 hours later
I will call my obgyn thank you. Should i take vitamins or suppliments in the mean time?

Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

As long as you are maintaining a healthy balanced diet, multivitamins are not necessary. But there is no harm in starting them either. Oral iron supplement can also be started especially if your hemoglobin levels come out to be low.

I welcome any further queries and hope to keep in touch.
All the best.