Heart patient and on Metoprolol for BP. Had cataract surgery used pred forte drops. BP elevated. Side effect?

I am a heart patient and am on Metoprolol for controlling BP. .Few months back I underwent cataract surgery and Pred- Forte eye drops were used starting with 12 times day, weekly tapering down to 8, 6, 4, etc times a day, for six weeks. Two weeks after starting this medication, my BP shot up excessively and I was given extra drug ( CTD 6.25 ) for controlling BP. This drug was discontinued when my BP was going below normal- This took about one month, after stopping the eye drops..

Recently my wife underwent cataract surgery ( in a different Hospital ) She also faced similar situation though she is not a heart patient and never had hypertension, prior to using Pred Forte.eye drops..

I suspect pred forte can cause elevation in BP. Please advise me if i can use this medication in my next cataract procedure ( which is due in a couple of months. )

Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem i would like to tell that Pred forte consists of prednisolone acetate which is a corticosteroid whose main role is to suppress the inflammation by inhibiting the release of inflammatory cytokines and speed the healing process.This is the reason why it was prescribed to you after your cataract surgery to fasten the healing process.

Regarding increase in BP Yes corticosteroids are known to cause hypertension but local application of prednisolone very rarely causes this side effect but still it varies in individuals and some may find themselves susceptible to it.

well i would suggest you to talk to your doctor about this if you are experiencing this effect he might consider changing the drug or modifying its dose under BP monitoring. Your treating doctor remains the best judge of the situation for you.

Get well soon.

Dr. Shruti