Heart patient. Is there any anti-anxiety medication that can be taken other than xanax?

Dec 2014

Need to know if there is any anti-anxiety medication that does not affect the heart other than those like xanax... Cardiologist has suggested that I should not take Celexa due to my heart condition. I plan to begin counseling next week but I so much stress over my diagnosis that it is getting to be a vicious cycle. Cardiologist said no need to be concerned at this time.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Xanax is a benzodiazepine drug and it is mainly used for episodic control of anxiety. It can result in improvement in symptoms of anxiety and it doesn't cause adverse effect on heart.

Celexa is SSRI drug and it is one of very useful drug that is used in anxiety. It is also a safe drug but other drugs of this group can also be considered like Sertaline. Sertaline is a cardiovascular safe drug and it doesn't have any side effect on heart. The drug decreases anxiety attacks by improving serotonin transmission in brain. You can consult with your doctor for this drug.

Thanks, if you have more questions you can ask again