Heart palpitations, ECG normal. Can hiccup cause that?

can hiccup cause palpatation in a child? have been to family doctor said it was stress but not sure i agree. he is a footballer with the highest blep test in the school 14.1. so he is general very fit and healthly. Has had a ecg as passed out in hospital visting a relative and they did as a percution all came back ok. this was before the palpations had started though. ecg was two years ago
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Idris Shariff 40 minutes later

Palpitations are usually not very XXXXXXX and are quite common.

As I can see that already an ECG has been done and there has been nothing significantly wrong as per your comments.

He has been a footballer you say, certain sports drinks and energy drinks contain significant amount of caffeine and other such compounds which are known to cause palpitations.

Dehydration is one another cause in the pediatric age group for palpitations and fainting to occur. So maintaining hydration could be the key.

Other causes could be:

1. Arrythmias.
2. Hyperthyroidism.
3. Anxiety and stress.
4. Hypoglycemia if he has underlying Diabetes.

Please check with your pediatrician to rule out the above mentioned causes.

Hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.