Heart murmur, hole in heart, excessive sweating. Life threatening problem ?

my son is 4 month old baby , he is diagonised of heart murmur with hole in heart of 6 mm. how XXXXXXX it is? he sweats a lot. is that a problem.what is the treatment for such hole? IS IT LIFE THREATENING, I AM WORRIED AS HE SWEATS A LOT.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 8 hours later

Here are the explanations:
My son is 4 month old baby ,
== 4 months age is common age at detection of heart diseases that are present since birth. His weight gain is normal as per records, means till now the heart defect has not harmed his body any way. Though earliest is likely to be a delay in milestones or growth.

He is diagonised of heart murmur with hole in heart of 6 mm.
=== Often such diagnoses are by chance, picked up during routine examination, smaller the defect louder the sound of murmur, lesser the problem. though more than 90% defects less than 10 mm close by one year naturally, one needs to confirm teh same by a 6 monthly check with echo/doppler. those that dont close by 1 year age are unlikely to close in life. all cases when defect doesnt close by 1 year or has serious issues with growth or hospitalisation, it wont be wise to delay the surgery unless advised by a Pediatric cardiac surgeon.

How XXXXXXX it is?
== Dangers are related to size of defect, associated defects and complications like pneumonias, cardiac failure. Most such cases will have growth failure along with. At times the issues can be life threatening.

He sweats a lot. Is that a problem
=== its a body's solution to some extent by imcreasing sympathetic/flight-fright drive that causes sweating. it may be an early sign that heart is under stress. These kids need a close watch to detect early pulmonary hypertension, early cardiac and early growth failure. Discuss with your doctor regarding infective endocarditis prophylaxis and failure prophylaxis medicines which you should know.

What is the treatment for such hole?

== If it doesnt close on their own, then surgeon needs to close it by different means which is often an open heart surgeryin children.

Is it life threatening, i am worried as he sweats a lot.

===I explained it already. concentrate on feeding. If he gets tired, feed with spoon. Even breastmilk can be fed with spoon. Give vaccines as per schedule and dont take him at crowded places or close to any sick patient. Don't kiss mouth to mouth.

Hope this helps you.

Follow-up: Heart murmur, hole in heart, excessive sweating. Life threatening problem ? 7 hours later
ok sir. Thanks for your response. I have one more question.
He sweats while he is sucking milk. otherwise he is active and normal. So, is sweating making so much impact on him. So you mean, since the hole is 6mm it is likely to disappear. If not i need to consult a doctor for further advice. Since we are relocating to singapore in short while, do u think singapore is a better place to get best treatment? Can he travel in flight?
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later
Hi again,

Singapore isn't the best place, as these surgeries are done in India (Narayan hrudayalaya Bangalore) too with great precision. Currently child has no other issues so you may wait watch and monitor.

I am concerned about the sweating , that may suggest that he may decompensate by simple infections, so take extreme care.

Yes, flying is no harm keep the child feeding during the jet.

Discuss with your doctor regarding any increase in heart size due to the murmur/defect. If so, you may need to be started on failure prevention medicines on daily basis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish you good health.