Heart has a measurement number of 25%. What does mean?

My heart has a measurement number of 25%. What does that mean? My doctor said it should be 55%.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Underfunctioning heart...

Detailed Answer:

The pumping action of heart is measured in terms of Ejection Fraction (EF) percentage. Ejection fraction measured in normal individual is above 55%.

As per your Echocardiogram report, number of 25% means underfunctioning heart, a failing heart. Diabetes and high blood pressure may be directly responsible for under-functioning Or you might harbor other conditions such as ischemia.

Since stress test was not conclusive, your cardiologist would be the best person to decide whether you need further exploration. However if I were to be your treating doctor, I would start you on betablocker. Digoxin and water pill use might also be needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.